Hello! I’m Richard. I go by
ichard26 on the internet1. My pronouns are he/they.
I’m a hobby Python developer, but I dabble in C and front-end web development from time to time. Project-wise, tooling and language dev projects are my favourite. When I’m not doing development work, I like to take photographs, go for walks .. or both at the same time! 📷
This website exists as a place to put my programming and OSS ramblings. I’m not quite sure what exactly I’ll write about it, but hey y’all can watch me as I learn this blogging thing.
Oh… and one more thing. You should know that I like flowers. ✿
Open Source Software (OSS)
While I do work on a personal project occasionally, I primarily contribute to open source projects. The projects I’m proud to have contributed to are:
- black co-maintainer 2020 - 2023
- Black is the most popular Python autoformatter; known for its uncomprising code style. I was a co-maintainer since 2021 and a triager since 2020.
- bandersnatch co-maintainer 2021 - 2023
- A simple mirror tool generating a PEP 503 compliant index ready to be served on your static web server of choice.
- diff-shades creator 2021 - present
- A development tool used to gauge the impact of code style changes in Black across OSS code. Inspired by mypy-primer which was inspired by black-primer.
- next-pr-number creator 2021 - present
- A simple web utility to query the number the next PR would have for a public Github repository.
- ghstats creator 2022 - present
- My personal playground for visualizing data from the GitHub API.
- mypyc triager & contributor 2023 - present
- A transcompiler of Python modules to C extensions built on top of mypy. It uses standard Python type hints and mypy’s type checking and type inference features to generate fast code.
I used to not have a public email address, but now I do! Please send random flower facts
and other inquries to
sichard26 (at) gmail.com2.
Alternatively, you can reach me by either DMing me on Discord (ichard26#4772) or opening a GitHub discussion here. I don’t have a preference between the two, so use the method that suits you the best :)
And please don’t message me on Twitter as I almost never check it after Elon took over.